License to practice

For doctors with a medical degree obtained in a country outside the EU/EEA complementary training is required to get a Swedish license to practice and a specialist qualification. The Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare (Socialstyrelsen) is the competent authority that assesses your academic and clinical background. If you want to apply for a swedish licence to practice follow the steps on the following page.

The first step in the process is to apply for an assessment of foreign training. When it comes to finding an internship, probationary service or employment, we recommend you to contact the Swedish Employment Office (Arbetsförmedlingen) for assistance.

If you are a specialist doctor with a basic medical training from utside the EU/EES the everage time to recieve a swedish licence to practice is about 3 years, that is following all the steps on Socialstyrelsen site except 3a and 3b. If one has a licence to practice but is not a specialist the everage time is about 6 years.

The Swedish Medical Association has published a folder titled ”Physicians educated in countries outside the EU/EEA – Training and Labour Market in Sweden”.

And we have provided more information regarding the process in Swedish

Learning Swedish

When working as a doctor it is really important to have good language skills. It is an essential condition in the interplay with your colleagues, patients and staff. Good language skills could also make it easier for the doctor to find the kind of post he/she prefers.

Language skills is something that is possible to acquire in different ways. The sooner you start learning Swedish, the better it is, preferably already when waiting for residence permit.

Certified knowledge of the Swedish, Norwegian or Danish language is a condition for a licence to practise for those who are trained outside of the EU/EEA area.

When later applying for a post as a medical doctor, the employers usually expect a language comprehension level equivalent to level C1 of the CEFR scale.

Learning Swedish

Language courses for doctors

There are a few language courses designed exclusively for healthcare staff. SFA-medicin in Södertälje is one of these courses.

Swedish for immigrants (SFI)

Swedish for immigrants (SFI) is organised by the the municipalities. It is required that you have a residence permit and you have to be registered in the municipality. The municipalities are obliged to offer SFI for new arrivals within three months.

For further information about SFI, please contact the local county office.

Other language course alternatives

A website of the Swedish Institute (SI) contains information about learning Swedish. One of many providers is Folkuniversitetet.

Immigration regulations

Citizen from outside the EU/EEA

If you are a citizen of a country outside the EU/EEA and you want to work in Sweden you will need a work and residence permit to practice. Migrationsverket will provide you with more information.

Jag vill söka i kunskapsbanken

Råd & Stöd är namnet på Läkarförbundets kunskapsbank där du hittar den bästa rådgivningen inom lön, pension, avtalsfrågor med mera.

Till Råd och stöd

Jag vill söka bland vanliga Frågor och svar

De vanligaste frågorna som medlemmar ställer till oss har vi samlat på ett ställe, tillsammans med svaren. Hittar du inte svaret på din fråga, kan du ställa den via “Fråga oss”-knappen på sidan.

Till Frågor och svar

Jag vill ha hjälp med fackliga och juridiska frågor

Kontakta medlemsrådgivningen och få kvalificerade råd om allt som rör din anställning.

08-790 35 10

Måndag–torsdag kl 9–16, fredag kl 9–13

Kontakta din lokalförening
Din lokalförening kan ge svar på frågor som rör din anställning på den ort du arbetar.

Hitta förening

Jag vill bli medlem i Läkarförbundet

Om något händer får du personlig rådgivning och experthjälp. Du får också möjlighet att påverka ditt arbetsliv som läkare. En enda del av medlemskapet kan tjäna in hela årsavgiften.

Bli medlem

infoVi använder cookies för att samla in statistik kring hur webbplatsen används, men framför allt för att förbättra din användarupplevelse. Genom att fortsätta godkänner du det. Här kan du läsa mer om cookies.